One of those vehicles was the Kommandeurwagen, produced by the Austrian firm, Steyr. Its development was based on the military transport vehicle, Steyr 1500A/01, produced in accordance with the vehicle standardization "Schell Programme" of 1940. Developed using the chassis of a 1500A truck, the 1500A/01 housed an eight cylinder, eighty-five horse power gasoline engine, a four forward/one reverse gear transmission, a front wheel torsion bar, and a leaf spring rear suspension. The Wehrmacht, impressed with the maximum speed of 100km/h on paved roads and excellent running performance, ordered the Steyr firm to produce a modified version for command use. In contrast to the eight passenger capacity of the 1500A/01, the Steyr Kommandeurwagen, which was designed for comfort, had a capacity of only five passengers. All of the seats were leather and the fight front seat could be reclined and used as a bed. The Kommandeurwagen's role as the wheels for the "elite" of the German army stretched from Russia to North Africa.